Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Expensive IEMs when travelling

Q: Are top-of-the-line IEMs worth it when the only use case is in trains while travelling?

A: Two reasons not to use a ToTL pair of headphones for your commute:

[1] I have a nasty habit of losing / breaking / destroying the IEMs I use when on the go. If I lose my $100 IEMs, I don't care. But if I lose a pair of $1000 IEMs, I will cry like a baby. For weeks.

[2] Do you really need that level of audiophile clarity when you are on the go? I mean, are you really trying to critically listen to Wayne Shorter breathing during his saxophone solo in "Aja" when the guy next to you is yelling on his cellphone and the baby two seats behind is screaming at the top of her lungs and the train wheels are going clickety-clack in the background?

And when you are in a restaurant eating dinner and listening to Arne Domnerus' "Jazz At The Pawnshop" do you really want to hear the waiters clearing the table in your song while waiters are clearing the table, well, at your table?

Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Comments on this blog are moderated.