Friday, September 2, 2016

Family Feud - the Onkyo DP-X1 versus the Pioneer XDP-100

The Onkyo DP-X1 and Pioneer XDP-100 are very similar  digital audio players (DAPs). Both have similar designs (the big difference is that the DP-X1 has a dual DAC/amp configuration that allows balanced output) and both are marketed to audiophiles.

I did a side-by-side of the Onkyo DP-X1 and the Pioneer XDP-100 before going with the Pioneer over the Onkyo primarily because I didn't want a dual DAC or balanced configuration. I'll explain why.

First, I primarily use my DAP when I am traveling, and I don't take super expensive IEMs on the road with me, mainly because I have lost quite a few. My usual "travel kit" now-a-days is a Shure SE535 and usually a second IEM with an inline mic/remote in case I'm taking calls. I try hard not to take anything more expensive than the SE535 with me on my travels because I'm convinced I'll lose them. To prove my point, I'm now on my third pair of 535s having lost the previous two when traveling, which tells you how absent minded I am...

And second, apart from the inevitable unbridled depression that will set in if I lose the more expensive DP-X1, the primary reason I chose the XDP-100 is because I don't think you need a balanced setup when on the road. Airports and airplanes (and trains and buses and cars) aren't really ideal listening environments, and I'm not really in the mood for critical listening on a long flight as much as I want to drown out most of the ambient noise and catch up on my Spotify playlists while I get some work done.

Plus, the best thing about wearing IEMs on long flights isn't the fact that you can engage in a critical listening session, but that you can always use them as an excuse not talk to the person sitting next to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Comments on this blog are moderated.