Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Would you ever buy a first batch of headphones?

Q: Would you ever buy a first batch of headphones? Is it worth it to wait?

A: Buying a first production run of any engineered item, whether it is a car or a pair of headphones, is always associated with a slightly higher likelihood that you'll get a product that has some issues.

Typically large companies manage QC well, so the issues are more likely to be because of design flaws than QC, although anyone assembling anything in a factory can have a bad day and screw up their job (and your product).

And yes, verification & validation testing does not catch every flaw, and since everyone who makes anything iteratively improves design over time as production ramps up, it always makes sense to wait for a product that has had the flaws "shaken out of it", so to speak.

I like to wait before I buy new audio gear, but more for the hype cycle to die down and some credible information to bubble up more than anything else, including reliability.

But I have this inner Klingon in my head who has zero patience and does not listen to reason, and he often jumps out when he sees me looking at desirable stuff and forces me to buy it the moment it is released

Sometimes I regret it later. So I curse the Klingon in my head, and he usually replies with "Hab SoSlI' Quch!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Comments on this blog are moderated.